Monday, July 26, 2021

2019 Fandemic Tour Supreme colors by Daniel Dahl

As previously mentioned, Gilbert “Beto” Hernandez's sketch for the jam had a light touch, so Evan Dorkin helped to fill out some of the details. I still wanted Supreme to be a bit meatier, especially standing next to Linsner's Spawn, and that effort would ultimately fall on the shoulders of the colorist. I attended the last Fandemic convention in Houston before COVID, but I was out of pocket from a trip a couple months earlier. I don't recall if I had a specific reason for going, or if I even went both days, but I wasn't rolling heavy into this particular show. While browsing tables, I came across the work of Daniel Dahl, visiting from Minnesota and seeming to specialize in sketch cover variants. I liked his line work, but wasn't really in the market to start new pieces while I still had lingering jams to finish. However, he was particular good with the color work, using it to add depth and weight to his pieces. He felt like a perfect fit for what I was looking for in Supreme, and while Xerox scans are notoriously bad at capturing subtlety of color, I think you can still see that he knocked it out of the park. I loved his work so much, I got him to do a couple characters, as you'll see in the future...

Daniel Dahl

No comments:

Post a Comment